Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Visit our sponsors:
 Alternative Autos  Become a sponsor!
Alfa156.net site | Want to sponsor?
Technical (156)
 Alfa Romeo forum : Technical (156)
Subject Topic: 156 OBD Fault Codes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
abhaslaj
Junior Alfisti
Junior Alfisti

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 21 June 2005 at 19:02 | IP Logged Quote abhaslaj

Does anyone have (or can point me at) a comprehensive list of fault codes for an Alfa 156?

I have a "U1600" - it does not seem to have any obvious symtoms - but knowing it's there I would like to investigate it further.

colh
Senior Alfisti
Senior Alfisti

Posted: 21 June 2005 at 21:35 | IP Logged Quote colh

Obviously there's a chance that the V6 errors are different (the ecu is in many respects), though given the same age there may be some commonality: on mine U1600 is an immobiliser error ("signal not plausible").

Col

colh
Senior Alfisti
Senior Alfisti

Posted: 21 June 2005 at 21:40 | IP Logged Quote colh

By the way, I'm pretty sure that yours won't be EOBD-compliant - its too old. See http://www.alfadiag.net/index.aspx for suitable software, and also a bit more info about the types of ecu on different models.
The "comprehensive list" is not easy to come by - you'd probably need the actual Alfa/Bosch spec, which is secret and not generally available.

abhaslaj
Junior Alfisti
Junior Alfisti

Posted: 22 June 2005 at 15:32 | IP Logged Quote abhaslaj

Many thanks for the info Colh,

It seems that the comments I read in an earlier thread on this forum on OBD compatability, that September 2000 was the date EOBD was introduced may well be correct. My December 2000 156 appears to be fully compatible - one of the readings displayed by the Scantool.net software I am using is actually "OBD Conforms to: EOBD".

The software happily displays 8 pages of info from the various engine sensors - I haven't the foggiest what some of them mean.

I have no reason to doubt you suggestion of "signal not plausible", but can not imagine what I would do to fix it!

I could try simply clearing the code, it would be interesting to see if it reappears.

Thanks again for your comments.

Edited by abhaslaj on 22 June 2005 at 23:24

michaeld
Senior Alfisti
Senior Alfisti
Pin 07’08

Posted: 22 June 2005 at 19:23 | IP Logged Quote michaeld

I think the U codes are for internal comms between units (for example maybe the airbag computer isn't responding to the main ECU).

Sometimes this code is raised if the battery is disconnected or goes flat - was this the case?

It is frustrating that we don't seem to be able to find out what the codes mean - somebody must know.
Back to Top View michaeld's Profile Search for other posts by michaeld

abhaslaj
Junior Alfisti
Junior Alfisti

Posted: 24 June 2005 at 10:47 | IP Logged Quote abhaslaj

As it happens the battery was US and had to be replaced - but this was more than a month ago. Would you expect the code to have remained? Or should it be cleared by a number of 'cold starts'?

Looking in the Gendan database, there seems to be a clue that manufacturer specific 'U' codes relate to the 'network'.

michaeld
Senior Alfisti
Senior Alfisti
Pin 07’08

Posted: 24 June 2005 at 12:10 | IP Logged Quote michaeld

I'm not sure if the U codes get cleared. They don't raise a engine warning light as far as I know. I think they remain until you clear them. Best thing to do would be to clear it then disconnect the battery to see if it comes back.

It's a pity we don't have more info on all of the codes (the P1s and the Us etc.).

abhaslaj
Junior Alfisti
Junior Alfisti

Posted: 29 June 2005 at 18:23 | IP Logged Quote abhaslaj

I have cleared the U1600 code - and it hasn't yet come back. I will try it again when I have had a chance to disconnect the battery.

michaeld
Senior Alfisti
Senior Alfisti
Pin 07’08

Posted: 29 June 2005 at 19:31 | IP Logged Quote michaeld

Yes post what happens. I'm not sure how long you'd need to disconnect the battery but 20 seconds or so should be long enough. I think you'll then see the U code come back and if so then you'll be happy that it was the battery disconnection that threw it up.

waftycranker83
Junior Alfisti
Junior Alfisti

Posted: 29 April 2010 at 17:17 | IP Logged Quote waftycranker83

U1600 is fault code for "Electronic key", probably something with the immobiliser. Safe.
Back to Top View waftycranker83's Profile Search for other posts by waftycranker83

Rob3rto
Veloce
Veloce

Posted: 29 April 2010 at 17:21 | IP Logged Quote Rob3rto

waftycranker83 wrote:
U1600 is fault code for "Electronic key", probably something with the immobiliser. Safe.

Dude, I think after 5 years he might have figured that out!

156 2.0TS SP3
GTA headlights,F/lift S/wheel,deconed,GTA intake,RedDot 20 grooves,OMP front upper brace, Supersport suspension
Back to Top View Rob3rto's Profile Search for other posts by Rob3rto Visit Rob3rto's Homepage

waftycranker83
Junior Alfisti
Junior Alfisti

Posted: 03 May 2010 at 12:59 | IP Logged Quote waftycranker83

That was for general information purposes only. I will be adding disclaimers to all my posts from now on. Watch your back Rob3rto!
Back to Top View waftycranker83's Profile Search for other posts by waftycranker83

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version