Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Visit our sponsors:
 Alternative Autos  Become a sponsor!
Alfa156.net site | Want to sponsor?
Technical (156)
 Alfa Romeo forum : Technical (156)
Subject Topic: Alternator Removal Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Quiz
Junior Alfisti
Junior Alfisti

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 21†March†2007 at 04:32 | IP Logged Quote Quiz

Ordinarily I would not dream of asking for advice on how to remove an alternator.
But seeing as Alfa make every thing so difficult and the fact that you cant see it until the wheel and shroud are removed, I thought it would be prudent to be prepared.
Does the auxillary belt have to come off?
Or can you wiggle it out and back in when the bearings and bushes have been done?
Would I be better off buying a new / recon one or stick with a repair.
I have had a look through the 'how to' pages but did not find any thing about alternators. With any luck that is because it is so easy??
I look forward to hearing from some one who has done this already.
Quiz.

Alfa Ian
Veloce
Veloce

Posted: 21†March†2007 at 08:37 | IP Logged Quote Alfa Ian

Not even considered doing it on the alfa since you can't even see it on (2.4 JTD)

From past cars when i changed a starter i used a reconditioned one still cost £90+ but it was all cleaned up and came with test result sheet etc so was like new. So would reconmend a recon if you can't stretch to a new unit.

Chris155
Senior Alfisti
Senior Alfisti
Most Technical 07, Most Helpful 08

Posted: 21†March†2007 at 10:39 | IP Logged Quote Chris155

I haven't done it but I'd imagine you have to remove the rear engine mount (gearbox to sub-frame) to get it out, possibly the sub frame. One option that might be worth exploring would be to remove the top strut mount and the rear engine mount whilst suppoting the engine and seeing if you can drop the engine down to gain enough clearance to get it out.

I find it slightly worry that you have to ask if the aux belt needs to be removed.....

Edited by Chris155 on 21†March†2007 at 10:39
Back to Top View Chris155's Profile Search for other posts by Chris155

Quiz
Junior Alfisti
Junior Alfisti

Posted: 21†March†2007 at 12:53 | IP Logged Quote Quiz

Chris155 wrote:
I haven't done it but I'd imagine you have to remove the rear engine mount (gearbox to sub-frame) to get it out, possibly the sub frame. One option that might be worth exploring would be to remove the top strut mount and the rear engine mount whilst suppoting the engine and seeing if you can drop the engine down to gain enough clearance to get it out.

I find it slightly worry that you have to ask if the aux belt needs to be removed.....

Me too, the last alternator I changed was on a Ford 2000E.
That was easy and as the fan belt was tensioned by the alternator, it never had to actually come off.
You frightened me off doing this job as soon as you mentioned moving the engine.
Might have to find some one else to do it now.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version