Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Visit our sponsors:
 Alternative Autos  Become a sponsor!
Alfa156.net site | Want to sponsor?
Technical (156)
 Alfa Romeo forum : Technical (156)
Subject Topic: how to,brakes? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
hoohy
Veloce
Veloce

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 September 2007 at 11:20 | IP Logged Quote hoohy

hi all,to change rear brake pads,is it the same as doing the front or do i have to do something with the handbrake to be able to replace them .cheers ian ireland.

p3te
Junior Alfisti
Junior Alfisti

Posted: 06 September 2007 at 11:41 | IP Logged Quote p3te

Hoohy,

Ive just done my rears and used the how to from the forum tips section.

You will need to chock the front wheels, put th ecar in 1st or 2nd gear and let off the handbrake and remove the leather gaiter. Just under the handbrake handle there is a long 13mm nut - loosen that off as much as possible.

When you get the rear wheel off to the back of the caliper is a spring mechanism pulling the cable tight - Its a bugger to do but I squeezed the spring until the handbrake cable could be popped out of its recess. (Sounds hard but its dead easy 2 minute job).

Next 2 bolts 13mm, top and bottom on the inside undo to let the ecaliper siide out. These have 2 17mm locking nuts on the inside.

You need a Draper caliper compressor or similar as using pressure along will never push in the piston - it has to twist as it goes in, (these are only 5 quid).

Remove and replace pads - remember copper slip - and replace caliper . I found it easier at this point to re connect the handbrake cable as you can turn the caliper to get better access whilst off the car.

Do both wheels.... Now the handbrake adjuster nut should be tightened so that the handbrake will be fully on after 3 clicks when pulled on. BUT should allow rear wheel movement whem off. Again an easy thing to do - I found it easiest to tighten by hand. Then pull handbrake as hard as you can 10 times, (takes up slack)re tighten and count the clicks. Use a 13mm open spanner to do the final adjusting as it is more than finger tight.

ps. To let back the piston I took the top off the reservoir as I replaced brake fluid and bled the brakes afterwards, (used the halfordds kit that works off tyre pressure and it was so easy my 10 year old daughter did the front ones for me... under supervision) .
If you plan to keep thye brake fluid loose off teh bleed nipple nut on the caliper - but remember air can get pulled in so brakes should be bled afterwards.

Takes about 20 minutes a side to do and then give it 100 miles to bed in beefore spanking the ar5e out of her again. (The car not my daughter!!!!).

Edited by p3te on 06 September 2007 at 11:45

gazza82
Junior Alfisti
Junior Alfisti

Posted: 06 September 2007 at 11:43 | IP Logged Quote gazza82

There's a how-to on my website under Hints&Tips. Click on the www button below.

Rears are different as you have to screw the piston back into the caliper.

And yes, you have to slacken off the handbrake cable at the handbrake to unhook them from the calipers.

If you're driving on the edge, you're leaving too much room!
Back to Top View gazza82's Profile Search for other posts by gazza82 Visit gazza82's Homepage

p3te
Junior Alfisti
Junior Alfisti

Posted: 06 September 2007 at 11:48 | IP Logged Quote p3te

Gazza82,

Its your how to that I used.... Very well written, easy instructions made the job simple - Thanks M8.

hoohy
Veloce
Veloce

Posted: 06 September 2007 at 11:50 | IP Logged Quote hoohy

cheers lads .just one other ? you mentioned bleeding the brakes .can they not be replaced without bleeding the brakes.

p3te
Junior Alfisti
Junior Alfisti

Posted: 06 September 2007 at 11:55 | IP Logged Quote p3te

You have to open the brake system either at the reservoir under bonnet or the bleed nipple to be able to compress the caliper piston - otherwise you are trying to push against a pneumatic fluid under pressure, (it has to go somewhere).

For 16 quid (halfrauds) or internet get a brake bleeding kit and it really is a simple job to do. Get a set of really small spanners as the front bleed nipples are about 7mm nuts, (tiny).

Alfie Whizz
Junior Alfisti
Junior Alfisti

Posted: 06 September 2007 at 12:00 | IP Logged Quote Alfie Whizz

Excellent How To Gazza.

Here's a pictorial Alfa 156 brake pad change guide specifically for the rear pads that I used .

Edited by Alfie Whizz on 06 September 2007 at 12:00
Back to Top View Alfie Whizz's Profile Search for other posts by Alfie Whizz

hoohy
Veloce
Veloce

Posted: 06 September 2007 at 12:00 | IP Logged Quote hoohy

cheers mate ,thanks for the advice.i,ll have a go later.lets you know how i got on.

gazza82
Junior Alfisti
Junior Alfisti

Posted: 06 September 2007 at 14:27 | IP Logged Quote gazza82

p3te wrote:
You have to open the brake system either at the reservoir under bonnet or the bleed nipple to be able to compress the caliper piston ....

But if you only take the reservoir cap off, you shouldn't need to. If you open the bleed nipples, then yes. Depends how long since the last bleed/change. Fluid should really be changed every two years ....

If you're driving on the edge, you're leaving too much room!
Back to Top View gazza82's Profile Search for other posts by gazza82 Visit gazza82's Homepage

Rob3rto
Veloce
Veloce

Posted: 06 September 2007 at 14:32 | IP Logged Quote Rob3rto

gazza82 wrote:
There's a how-to on my website under Hints&Tips. Click on the www button below.

Rears are different as you have to screw the piston back into the caliper.

And yes, you have to slacken off the handbrake cable at the handbrake to unhook them from the calipers.

Red Dot didn't but they were also replacing discs too.

156 2.0TS SP3
GTA headlights,F/lift S/wheel,deconed,GTA intake,RedDot 20 grooves,OMP front upper brace, Supersport suspension
Back to Top View Rob3rto's Profile Search for other posts by Rob3rto Visit Rob3rto's Homepage

michaeld
Senior Alfisti
Senior Alfisti
Pin 07’08

Posted: 06 September 2007 at 14:54 | IP Logged Quote michaeld

A couple of comments.

You don't need to open the bleed nipple but open the resevoir in the engine bay instead.

You shouldn't need to detach the handbrake cable if you loosen the nut at the handbrake (it's right under the lever and parallel to it).

Make sure you support the caliper before removing the bolts - don't let the caliper hang on the brake hose.

Make sure the springs on the top of the pads seat correctly in the caliper and don't stick out the inspection slot.

Winding the piston in (clockwise) may take quite a long time and you've got to wind it back almost fully home. It's much easier off the car. I used a tool from Halfords made by Laser (1314 I think). Without it I don't think I could have done it easily.

You may have to push the caliper back towards the hub as you tighten the bolts - I wedged a piece of wood against the ground and the caliper.

Make sure you remember to tighten up the handbrake nut afterwards.

Thanks to Gazza for his writeup.

Edited by michaeld on 06 September 2007 at 14:59
Back to Top View michaeld's Profile Search for other posts by michaeld

Chris T
Veloce
Veloce
R-up Most Etertaining 06, Pin 08

Posted: 06 September 2007 at 15:08 | IP Logged Quote Chris T

I didn't loosen the handbrake nut to do mine, just released it and had no problems whatsoever.
Back to Top View Chris T's Profile Search for other posts by Chris T

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version