Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Visit our sponsors:
 Alternative Autos  Become a sponsor!
Alfa156.net site | Want to sponsor?
Technical (156)
 Alfa Romeo forum : Technical (156)
Subject Topic: 156 2.0 JTS blown valve aftermath Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mnf71
Junior Alfisti
Junior Alfisti

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 July 2017 at 15:54 | IP Logged Quote mnf71

My 82,000 km, 4 previous owner JTS blew a valve recently after replacing injectors at 80,000 km. Reground head, timing, etc.

The car sounds slightly rougher than before but runs fine...until it gets up to full operating temperature. At that point power drops somewhat, it runs rougher and sounds like an old diesel.

We tested oil usage and it burned ~1 liter of Liqui Moly 10w-60 full synthetic in 425 km. and smoke comes up the dip stick sleeve when it's hot (water temp still OK) when checking the oil. That's more than it was burning before the broken valve but even before I could feel the engine getting rougher if it wasn't completely topped up with oil.

Now my garage wants to reopen the engine and replace rings, etc.

The thing is, it really runs fine before it completely warms up. Does this sound like rings/tappets or might it be something else?

Edited by mnf71 on 08 July 2017 at 17:35
Back to Top View mnf71's Profile Search for other posts by mnf71

DeeeeC
Junior Alfisti
Junior Alfisti

Posted: 25 November 2017 at 11:39 | IP Logged Quote DeeeeC

My rebuilt JTS burns 1 litre per 300 miles which is about 450ish km. Mostly when I rev past 6000rpm.

I think the rings or pistons were always a bit loose on this model - someone said from the factory.

Edited by DeeeeC on 25 November 2017 at 11:39

mnf71
Junior Alfisti
Junior Alfisti

Posted: 25 November 2017 at 12:52 | IP Logged Quote mnf71

This hasn't progressed well...

The garage went in and replaced rings, variator, etc. The car was now burning only ~1/2 a liter of oil / 1,000 km. (they switched me to 5-40 full synthetic) but was running good rather than great.

Less than a month ago I was trolling downtown looking for a parking place - very slow stop and go traffic. Suddenly I started getting the "Low oil pressure" warning which quickly became "Low oil pressure - stop engine immediately." I called for a tow.

Towed into the garage. The car hadn't been running for ~3 hours and after finding that all the oil was still in the engine they started it up and it ran fairly smoothly. They had me leave the car and eventually after determining that the oil pump was ok they changed the the oil pressure warning unit and the main engine bearings.

Now the car was running great, better than it ever had since I bought it 4 years ago.

A week ago I was driving the same prolonged (5-10 km) fairly steep uphill at 120 km/hour as I was when the valve blew. Then there were 4 people riding in the car, this time just me. All of a sudden I got the "Low oil pressure" warning and almost immediately the "Stop engine immediately" warning. Towed back into the garage...

I've lost confidence in the garage. This looks like a recurrent issue taking place under similar conditions but they seem to be fixing what's wrong as a result of something rather than figuring out what's at the root of the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas - I'm desperate.

Back to Top View mnf71's Profile Search for other posts by mnf71

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version